Vehicles left high and dry as cops, MV officials 'over sleep'
Source: The Sangai Express

Imphal, August 04 2010: Even though nearly 50 fuel and LPG carriers left Imphal for NH-39 to procure essential items this morning, over 50 goods carriers could not join the CRPF-escorted convoy allegedly due to delay in the arrival of State police and Motor Vehicle Department officials.

Under strong instruction from the Central Government, transport operators were convinced to resume service along the NH-39 route so as to overcome the present crisis of shortage of essential commodities in the State.

Consequently, police and MV officials requisitioned several trucks and petrol/petroleum products carriers since yesterday and assembled them at the Khuman Lampak Sports Complex.

As information was relayed to the transporters that CRPF personnel would escort the convoy, the vehicles lined up near the Mantripukhri post of the CRPF only to be told to return to Khuman Lampak as the departure would be at 4 am today (August 4) .

While the police and MV officials left for their respective homes, the vehicles stayed overnight at the sports complex and at dawn they were informed that CRPF are ready to leave as scheduled (4 am).

When contacted this morning, some vehicle operators lamented that when they enquired whether they could leave the complex, the IRB sentry on duty insisted that no vehicle should leave complex till the arrival/consent of the police/MV officials responsible for requisitioning the vehicles.

By around 6.30 am when the police and MV officials finally showed up and asked the truckers to rush to Mantripukhri which they eventually complied with, the escort party had already left with whatever vehicle was stationed near the CRPF camp.

Upset with the conduct of the police and MV officials some drivers complained that belated arrival of the police/MV officials have undermined commitment of the transport operators to serve the people inspite of several inconveniences being faced while plying along the Imphal-Dimapur section of NH-39 .

Not only has our spirit to serve the people been dampened due to callousness of these police/officials but failure to join the departing convoy has resulted in the owners doubting our diligence to operate vehicles, highlighted some of the drivers.

On the other hand, an informed source said that the CRPF escort party left Imphal along with 48 bullet and oil tankers in the early hours today.

As per information received here, the convoy crossed Mao Gate at around 11 am from where CRPF personnel stationed in Nagaland would provide the security cover inside Nagaland.

CRPF companies based in Manipur are responsible for security to transporters inside the State.