No NRC, No Census: Protests held in Kumbi, Heirok and Wangjing
Source: The Sangai Express
Bishnupur/Thoubal, August 21 2026:
Sit-in protests and a public meeting opposing the conduct of the Census before the updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) were held in Kumbi, Heirok and Wangjing on Friday, with participants also demanding the resettlement of internally displaced persons (IDPs) to their original homes before any Census exercise is undertaken.
At Kumbi Keithel, Youth for Kumbi organised a sit-in protest demonstration attended by students from various schools, Meira Paibis of Kumbi Assembly Constituency, IDPs from different relief camps under Kumbi AC and members of the public.
Holding placards and raising slogans such as "No NRC, No Census", "Resettle IDPs to their original homes" and "Save Manipur", the protesters asserted that Census should not be conducted without first updating the NRC and ensuring the return of displaced people to their homes.
Speaking on the occasion, Youth for Kumbi convenor Laishram Kemojit Meitei said that the organisation firmly opposed the conduct of the Census before the updation of the NRC.
He alleged that the prevailing crisis in Manipur was linked to illegal immigration from Myanmar and demanded the identification and deportation of illegal immigrants.
Kemojit further urged the Government to properly identify international border pillars along the IndoMyanmar border and complete border fencing at the earliest.
He said the prolonged violence and displacement had severely affected the education and learning of schoolchildren.
Questioning how a Census could be properly conducted while thousands of IDPs continued to live in relief camps, he maintained that their resettlement to their original homes must precede the Census exercise.
Appealing to the Government to take up the NRC updation and address the issue of IDP resettlement before conducting the Census, he warned that Youth for Kumbi would be compelled to launch intensified forms of agitation if their demands were ignored.
Meanwhile, a public meeting on the "No NRC, No Census" campaign was jointly organised by the Heirok Apunba Club and Heirok Apunba Meira Paibi Lup at Heirok Part-II Bazar in Thoubal district.
The meeting adopted several resolutions, including that no Census should be conducted until the NRC is updated to identify illegal immigrants and protect the indigenous population.
It also resolved that Census-related activities should not be carried out until IDPs are able to return to their original homes and that the Government should first take appropriate steps for their resettlement.
The gathering further called upon civil society organisations across Manipur to collectively participate in the agitation against conducting the Census before the NRC updation.
It also resolved that Government employees in the Heirok area should not participate in Census-related activities, warning of consequences against those found involved, including possible expulsion from the locality.
Another resolution called upon every household in the area to hoist flags bearing the slogan "No NRC, No Census".
Speaking at the meeting, JFD finance secretary Sunil Karam said that the Government should not forcibly conduct the Census without first updating the NRC.
He also urged the authorities to stop what he described as repeated attempts to detain and arrest people working for the welfare and protection of the indigenous population through the filing of FIRs.
Stating that people had been demanding for a long time that the NRC be updated before the Census, Sunil said sustained public agitations had resulted in the gradual cancellation of some Census-related activities in the valley districts.
He, however, appealed to the people to continue pressing the Government until their demands were fulfilled.
In another such demonstration, the All Wangjing, Lamding, Kairembikhok and Tentha Apunba Lup, in association with the All Wangjing Lamding Keithel Shopkeeper Development Association, staged a sit-in protest at Wangjing Keithel Traffic Point.
Members of TAKDAL, Imagi Meira and several other organisations took part in the protest, with demonstrators reiterating the demand that the NRC be updated first and the Census exercise undertaken only thereafter.




