TODAY -
Many hurt in crackdown on protesters
Source: The Sangai Express
Imphal, August 20 2026:
Many protesters sustained injuries as security forces cracked down on a large number of protesters belonging to both Naga and Meitei communities who were demanding justice for the six Konsakhul villagers who were abducted from Leilon Vaiphei Kuki village and later found butchered in the most barbaric manner.
One IRB personnel and a CRPF man too sustained injuries in the scuffle.
At the initiative of the Foothills Naga Coordination Committee, Native People's Committee Manipur and Joint Tribes Council Manipur, a large number of people gathered at Kanglatongbi and they attempted to take out a rally toward Namdilong.
|
However, security forces deployed in the area told the people that they were not allowed to take out any protest rally on the highway.
This resulted in a tense standoff between the two sides.
In their attempt to drive away the protesters, security forces fired a number of tear gas shells.
The protesters retaliated with slingshots and by pelting stones.
More than 10 protesters sustained injuries in the crackdown by security forces.
Four of them who sustained grievous injuries were taken to JNIMS .
Some other protesters were also arrested by police.
One CRPF personnel and one IRB personnel sustained injuries in stone pelting.
The confrontation between the two sides went on till evening.
Meanwhile, the COCOMI and the FNCC have vehemently condemned the act of unleashing brute force upon the protesters by security forces.
They urged the Government and its security forces to arrest and punish the Kuki narco-terrorists involved in murdering the six Naga hostages and mutilating their bodies, instead of committing excesses upon protesters.
Native People's Committee Manipur convenor Ashang Kasar too has strongly condemned the act of unleashing brute force by security forces upon the civilians who were staging a democratic protest seeking justice for the six Naga hostages and the two villagers of Langka who had been murdered in the most barbaric manner.
Saying that a despondent wife of one of the six Naga hostages murdered by Kuki narco-terrorists too sustained injuries in the excesses committed by security forces and she was taken to JNIMS, Ashang Kasar asked if this was the Government's definition of justice.
He expressed strong indignation that the Government has been committing atrocities against Naga and Meitei people, instead of taking any concrete measure to apprehend Kuki militants who have been killing innocent people.
He also sought action from the Manipur Government, while questioning and condemning the alleged brutality of security forces against civilians.
Ashang Kasar demanded a response from the State Government, stating that such harsh treatment of civilians is unconstitutional and unacceptable, and warned that protests would be intensified if the government failed to respond.
Koubru Range Liangmai Women Union co-convenor Khingaliu Marenmai decried that the Government has been victimising innocent people who have been demanding justice for the six Konsakhul villagers who were abducted from Leilon Vaiphei Kuki village and later murdered in the most barbaric manner, rather than arresting the murderers.
She warned that different modes of strong agitation will go on until and unless the Government brings justice to the murder of the six Naga hostages and the two villagers of Langka.
Condemning the excesses committed by security forces, many people blocked NH-2 at Makhan village gate by burning tyres but security forces drove away the protesters and re-opened the highway.
A press release issued by the Liangmai Naga Council-Manipur (LNC-M) said that Wikhonliu (36) w/o late Phengrongwi (included among six Naga hostages murdered by Kuki militants), Wilobou (33) s/o Masingbou, Chunwibou s/o Paojengbou and Masenwangbou (44) of Makhan sustained serious injuries in the security forces' action.
Vehemently condemning the indiscriminate use of tear gas and excessive force allegedly employed by the Rapid Action Force (RAF) and other security personnel against peaceful protesters, the LNC-M said that such disproportionate action was unwarranted, reprehensible and deeply alarming.
It has also demanded immediate release of all the detained protesters and impartial investigation, identification of responsible security personnel and initiation of appropriate legal action against them.
* Comments posted by users in this discussion thread and other parts of this site are opinions of the individuals posting them (whose user ID is displayed alongside) and not the views of e-pao.net. We strongly recommend that users exercise responsibility, sensitivity and caution over language while writing your opinions which will be seen and read by other users. Please read a complete Guideline on using comments on this website.
HEADLINES - 21, AUG 2026
SNIPPETS - 21, AUG 2026
SPORTS - 21, AUG 2026
LATEST IN E-PAO.NET
Jump Start
DBS Imphal SubSite |
Readers Mail |
Editorials |
Education Announcements |
Essay |
Exclusive Event |
Flash - Audio Visual |
Incidents |
LFS Imphal SubSite |
News Timeline |
Poetry |
Opinion |
Sports |
Rock Concert |
RSS |
Top Stories |
Wathi Jugai




