Protest rally taken out against inclusion of non-Muslims in Waqf Board
Source: The Sangai Express
Imphal, August 22 2026:
Opposing the inclusion of two non-Muslims, one woman and one man, as members of the Waqf Board by the Government, a protest rally was taken out from ABA Ground to surrounding localities of Kshetrigao today.
The rally was jointly organised by Jamiat-e-Ulama Kshetrigao, KMPUC and YOP.
After passing through different areas of Kshetrigao, the rally concluded at ABA Ground, where a public meeting was held.
Speaking regarding the rally, advisor of Jamiat-e-Ulama Kshetrigao, Kamaluddin Mazahiri said that the Government's move to include two non-Muslims in the recently announced list of the 8th Waqf Board is highly unfortunate.
He said that the move is an attempt to interfere with the sacred religious institution of the Muslims.
He recalled that when the Amendment Act was enacted in 2025, several representations were made to the Government stating that non-Muslims should not be included in the Waqf Board.
The Waqf Board plays a major role in discussing and chalking out development plans for Muslim religious affairs, he said.
Maintaining that the Waqf Board had been functioning smoothly since long, he questioned how religious matters of Muslims could be discussed and worked together with non-Muslims if they are forcibly included.
Muslim affairs and the Waqf Board are inseparable, and this is an attempt to break the existing structure, he said.
He demanded that the Government revoke the decision at the earliest, failing which Muslims in Manipur would launch intense agitations.




