Black Day observed at Khousabung DCC, Churachandpur
10 February 2017
To commemorate the day when the State Cabinet resolved to name erstwhile Thangting Sub-Division of Churachandpur district as ‘Kangvai’ by defying all logic and in total subjugation of the democratic voice of the people, a Black Day was observed today at Khousabung DCC Headquarters, Churachandpur district under the auspices of Khousabung Sub-Division Demand Committee (KSDDC).
2. It may be recalled that over 117 village chiefs out of about 125 villages covered by the Sub-Division had appended their signature in favour of Khousabung to be the sub-divisional headquarters of the new sub-division. This collective decision/choice of the people, from all walks of life and representing all sections of society, is based solely on the perimeter that ‘Khousabung’ is the most centrally located location for the villages covered by the new sub-division.
3. However, in total suppression of the public voice and in an utter display of ‘divisive politics’ and in pursuance of parochial agenda, the State Cabinet on Feb 10, 2016 decided to name the subdivision as ‘Kangvai.’ Besides, scores of democratic and peaceful protesters were left injured in brutal crackdowns on them by the State forces during the over one month long anti- State Cabinet decision of Feb 10, 2016 agitation spearheaded by the KSDDC.
4. The solemn Black Day observance programme today was marked by mass prayer, sharing and motivational speeches from public leaders, raising of slogans and a candle light vigil at Justice Square.
Speakers cautioned the gatherings to beware of ‘wolfish politicians donning sheep’s skin’ in the ensuing General Assembly elections. The speakers also wondered the State Govt’s overhype of ‘administrative convenience’ of late when it overlooked the same in the case of the demand for Khousabung subdivision.
5. Hundreds of people who turned out for the occasion, including village chiefs and prominent public leaders, renewed their pledge to take on the fight for justice till the goal is achieved.
* This Press Release was sent to e-pao.net by KSDDC who can be contacted at mangmingangte(AT)gmail(DOT)com
This Press Release was posted on February 11 2017
* Comments posted by users in this discussion thread and other parts of this site are opinions of the individuals posting them (whose user ID is displayed alongside) and not the views of e-pao.net. We strongly recommend that users exercise responsibility, sensitivity and caution over language while writing your opinions which will be seen and read by other users. Please read a complete Guideline on using comments on this website.