UEFA EURO 2008
- Part 2 -
By Mimin Haokip *
So far 12 matches have been played and we all are witnessing Eoru top socceer mania..
Best footballers of all teams are in action playing football of a life time since EURO is better known as one of the prestigious football shows (2nd after FIFA World Cup) but in the end one has to be the winner and another’s a graceful loser. The better team of the day wins..
So far in each Team has "Men of Substance." Here’s a list of players with the skill to leave and indelible impacts in the ongoing extravagant bonanza. Croatia and Portugal are the two countries already in the last 8 (eight) who will be the next ?
Any way during this action pack clash in the pitch. Portugal and Croatia produced new stars in the likes of FC Porto key player Raul Meireless, another Porto player Ricardo Quaresma and just like Cristiano Ronaldo filling Luis Figo shoes.
One player who is playing a role of already retired Rui Costa, Joao Moutinho (regarded as new Rui Costa) of Sporting Lisbon, and not to forget last year Real Madrid new signing Pepe, all this new Portugeuse players are the future and another team who are already into last 8 Croatia.
Since their debut in EURO-96, Croatia is also a force to reckon with the brilliant display of Luka Modric (Tottenham) and another England-based players of Portsmouth Nikokra Njcar, Danio Simic (AC Milan) Igor Budan (Parma) not to forget a player who almost quit football due to heart problem.
Ivan Klasnic (Werder Bremen) Ivon was out of action due to heart transparent surgery and bounced back by scoring a hattrick for Werder Bremen in the German Cup against Hamburg and now permanent fixture in Croatian national team.
So we approached midway through the competition. GROUP ‘B’ leaders Portugal after two wins they are the first team progress then the knock out round (Last 8).
So, they will be joined by another 7 Nations in the coming days. So all Football fraternity in Manipur are keeping their finger across as to "who will be them?"
So we better wait and watch some of the stars in the ongoing championship. This is a platform to grab player opportunists with both hands.
Those who have already stolen the show such a Polished-German Lucas Podolski David Villa, Wesley Sneiders, Ibrahmovich, Fabregas, Van Parse etc.
But some players who are yet to make impacts such as Gomiz Benjama, Ibrahim Afellay Flamini.Deco, Robben, Van Nistelrooy, etc, are still going strong so far.
So watch out for this player football Pundits who are focusing but do the talking while doing their National Colours. So far, here are some of the ups and downs (high and low of the competitions) among the 16 teams.
Here are the list of players who will be on the verge of standouts during the later stage of the EURO - 2008:
- Netherland’s 20 yrs old PSV Eindhoven Academy product Ibrahim Affelay, top scorer for Ajax. Amterdam 2007/08 season as well as top scorer in European Under -20 National Cup in 2006 won by Holland
- Klass Jan Huntelaar and
- Belgium bonn Zeeuw (Az Alkmaar) (Austria)
- Emanual Pogatez (Middlesbrough) and
- Jaochim Standfest (Austria Vienna) (Spain)
- David Villa ( Valencia) and
- Ruben de la Rio (Getafe) ( France)
- Befetimbi Gomis (St Etiienne), who emulate Zinadine Zidane by scoring two goals in his debut match for France and
- Algebnia bonn 20 yrs Lyon Top scorer Karim Benzema (Turkey), Hard charging defensive midfield player
- Hamit Altintop (Bayern Munich),
- Swedish Kim Kalstrom (Olympique Lyon), a regular Lyon players winning 3 French League medal winner on the front since 2004/06.
* Mimin Haokip wrote this article for The Sangai Express. This article was webcasted on June 23, 2008.
* Comments posted by users in this discussion thread and other parts of this site are opinions of the individuals posting them (whose user ID is displayed alongside) and not the views of e-pao.net. We strongly recommend that users exercise responsibility, sensitivity and caution over language while writing your opinions which will be seen and read by other users. Please read a complete Guideline on using comments on this website.