ROCK MUSIC MANIPUR Vol.1 Released:
A compilation album, the first of its kind,
featuring 25 bands of Manipur cutting across multiple genres
Imphal, March 12th 2012
Rock Music Manipur Vol. 1, a compilation album of original music featuring 25 bands and individual artists, was released on the 9th of March, 2012. The compilation also includes 2 bonus tracks from Manipur's renowned bands: Post Mark and Phynyx.
The compilation was an initiative taken by the Rock Music Manipur (RMM), a community of rock musicians and enthusiasts from the state, as well as from outside the state. This community compiled a total of 37 tracks, belonging to multiple genres, into a one-of-the-first kind of album. This event is also a first of its kind in the musical history of the age old tradition and culture of Manipur.
Quite a number of Manipuri rock bands have written original songs, some of them released their songs and albums via internet and as CDs or Cassettes. These are usually known in private circulation while many are unaware about the songs and the musicians who created them. The idea behind RMM Vol. 1 is to make the musicians and their songs reach a wider audience, from grass root level.
Many songs in this compilation reflect life in general and more particularly various situations in Manipur – be it law and order or moral values. These musicians have transformed their commentary about the society and its dweller has kept us conscious of the socio-economic and political issues of the state through their lyrics.
With artist from Maram, Ukhrul, Tamenglong, Imphal and Bishnupur in Manipur to Bangalore and Delhi based Manipuri bands, this compilation album hope to carve a common platform to share and act as a social force of consciousness and change.
RMM plans for an immediate distribution of the compilation to various Yaoshang sports venues in different leikais (localities) in Manipur. Copies will be sent to different clubs in all the districts of Manipur. Soon the CDs will also be available for sale at various musical and related events. Money raised from the sales of the record will be evenly shared among all the participating bands/ artists.
The release session took place with a formal gathering of the musicians at Young Pioneer Organization (YPO), Yaiskul. YPO, was the first club where the distribution of the CD was also inaugurated.
Some of the names who were present in the event include Guru Rewben Mashangva, Ingocha Thingom, Paras Nongmaithem, Boycha Konjengbam, Vivek Sharma and Bobby Nameirakpam. The event started with a brief speech from Guru Rewben Mashangva who said, "It's hard to compose, record and release an album. It also takes lots of money to record an album. I thank RMM and the music lovers for making this compilation a reality."
Guitarist Vivek Sharma of Phoenix/ Phynyx also spoke in the gathering, he said "To record a song is a time consuming and needs lot of money and musicians can't afford to do it often. This compilation by RMM group is a big step. Phynyx's 'Woman' was also included in Great Indian Rock Vol 2. In the next compilation of RMM, we can select songs from various entries by bands, and compile, so that all the bands work harder to compose better, original songs.
The day witnessed one of the largest congregations of musicians on the same stage from different musical backgrounds. It was a gathering of bands/ artists for a cause to promote original music borne and nurtured from the soils and spirit of Manipur.
The event had presence of members from Kradle O' Beats, Scribble Link Purgatory, Chem Weed FM, Cleave, Deeparaj Oinam, Uttam Haobam, Fringes, Dead Mobster, Wild Flower, White Fire, Yuthak Wah, Sandrembee, etc. who stood on the stage as one and released the compilation album – RMM Vol 1. After the release ceremony at YPO Yaiskul, members of RMM along with the band members distributed the CDs to various leikai clubs in Yaiskul, Singjamei, Keishamthong and Kwakeithel.
Later in the evening, the volunteers of the event which comprised of almost all the rock bands and music lovers/supporters sat down for an evening tea and shared their own technical knowledge and experiences together, to a better step forward.
In the days that followed (10th and 11th of March 2012), the compilation CDs were distributed to Khurai, Nongmeibung, Nambol, Oinam, Wangkhei, Kongba, Okram Chuthek, Soibam Leikai, Tera and Langol as well. It was a true show of unity by the participating artists and RMM. Members of the RMM group have travelled the whole journey - from the idea incubation to an initiative that touched the nerves of the people of Manipur. The RMM firmly believes that the universal tune of music and songs from the compilation will surely bring various communities of the state closer with love, hope and respect.
"I think it's a path breaking moment for musicians from across genres in Manipur to come together in a collective venture. Despite everything that ails Manipur, we are moving we are moving ahead, we will move ahead."
- Sanjeev Thingnam, guitarist of Fringes, an Imphal based band
"The production of this compilation is a kaleidoscope view to the various genres of music in Manipur. It's a very thoughtful initiative taken up by RMM guys; this would also promote and boost many bands to come up with originals."
- Stephen Kahmei, guitarist of Redolent , a Tamenglong based band.
"I have been thinking for the last few years that our musicians need more exposure. This compilation will give the new artists a common platform to expose their talent and creativity."
- Kahaopou Riamei, one of the enthusiastic fans.
"People out here in Imphal don't have access to internet like people in other parts of India, due to the power crisis. The production qualities of our songs have often been criticised. Studio engineers and musicians ourselves will get a chance to compare this compilation album with other compilation album like GIR and see the differences. We're far behind in terms of production quality of the songs. Time to wake up and rise, and hopefully, may our production quality rise to the international level in the near future. Thank you RMM teams at Imphal and Bangalore for making this compilation album a reality."
- Eroz Laishram, vocalist of Sandrembee, an Imphal based band.
"I feel good to mingle with the different band members who are in this compilation; it's a great feeling to see all the bands supporting each other. With this compilation album, I am confident that Manipuri bands will have a bigger audience."
- Potshangbam Ithoiba Meetei, band manager of Cleave, an Imphal based band.
"We need good recording studios in Manipur. The sound system in Manipur hasn't improved much; it's the same sound system we have seen in 1990's during our heydays. Equipments like guitars, gadgets are okay now. We need more sponsors/ organisers and more original tracks."
- Selin Takhellambam, founder member of pioneer extreme metal band Black Insurgent, from mid 1990's
"We can't deny - 'Music runs in our blood'. For the country, metal genre was started in the year 1989 from Manipur. This is one of the initiatives where everyone stays on the same page to draw Manipur map in the world of music."
- Denny Konjengbam, band manager of Dead Mobster, an Imphal based band.
"There is lack of technical support for musicians in Manipur, besides Manipur is socio-politically disturbed. Inspite of that, to have a compilation album like this coming up is a new chapter in the history of rock music in Manipur. It has fulfilled the dreams of young musician like me."
- Solo Guitarist Deeparaj Oinam, 21 yrs old, who recently did his first studio recording in Imphal
"I went out to distribute the CDs to various Leikais, with a hope to change the mindset of the people, but I came back a changed person, after hearing a few songs from the compilation album."
- Manoranjan Hobam, one of the volunteers of RMM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMT6Xd0sr8Q (ISTV news clip of the album release event, 9th March, watch from 1.59 mins)
Track listing of ROCK MUSIC MANIPUR Vol.1
01. Koubru – SANDREMBEE
02. Philava (Princess of the mountain) - GURU REWBEN MASHANGVA
03. Gone Forever - A4APPLE
04. In The Fight - IMPHAL TALKIES
05. 7 Years Devastation – CLEAVE
06. Land Of The Free – FRINGES
07. Killers Don't Cry - DEAD MOBSTER
08. Singju Kanghou - EASTERN DARK
09. Take Me Back To Yesterday - KRADLE O' BEATS
10. Till Death Do Us Apart - WHITE FIRE
11. Freakonomy - YUTHAK WAH
12. Maibi Jagoi - DEEPARAJ OINAM
13. Stop The Killing - VIVEK SHARMA
14. Demon's Nightmare - CHEM WEED FM
15. We Shall Overcome - HARI OINAM
16. Washak - UTTAM HAOBAM
17. Memories Of Sunder Griha - DINESH KHUNDRAKPAM
18. The Last Stand - SCRIBBLE LINK PURGATORY
19. Ocean Of Love – CYGNUS
20. Coming Home – REDOLENT
21. Seven Swordsmen - DARK REIGN
22. Nungcb - WILD FLOWER
23. Ougri - YUTHAK WAH
24. Plague – SANDREMBEE
25. Waiting - KRADLE O' BEATS
26. Haiyu - WHITE FIRE
27. Ride To Destiny - VIVEK SHARMA
28. Princess Of Arabia – CLEAVE
29. The Retiring Rebel - DARK REIGN
30. All Here Is Fallen - A4APPLE
31. Lament Of The Wall – POIREINGANBA THANGJAM
32. Free – REDOLENT
33. Ishola - GURU REWBEN MASHANGVA
34. Bobok Na Hai - EASTERN DARK
35. Mamagi Macha - IMPHAL TALKIES
1. WOMAN - PHYNYX (recorded in 1996)
2. SOAR HIGH - POST MARK (recorded sometime in late 1980's - early 1990's)
www.rockmusicmanipur.in | www.groups.yahoo.com/group/rock-music-manipur
www.facebook.com/rockmusicmanipur1 | email@example.com
For more detail, please contact:
Eroz Laishram - 9774129261
Lukhendro Keisham – 9089408637
Kahaopou Raimei – 9612888475
Ithoiba Potshangbam – 8974006974
Ringo Pebam - 9900124949
* This Press Release was sent by Ringo Pebam (RMM) who can be contacted at ringo(dot)p(at)gmail(dot)com
This announcement was posted on March 12, 2012.
* Comments posted by users in this discussion thread and other parts of this site are opinions of the individuals posting them (whose user ID is displayed alongside) and not the views of e-pao.net. We strongly recommend that users exercise responsibility, sensitivity and caution over language while writing your opinions which will be seen and read by other users. Please read a complete Guideline on using comments on this website.