Interview with Viagra Haze
Club Muzik's ARTISIA - voice of the stars
Lukhendro Keisham / Club Muzik *
Viagra Haze - Band Members
Viagra Haze is a death metal band based in Bengaluru, India. This interview is a part of Club Muzik's ARTISIA.
Question No. 1: Where do you place the band (Viagra Haze) among the various new bands in the country?
Answer: We know that, and it's a very common concept and "general" would be the right word, that there's competition among the various bands. As rightly said, "Who doesn't want be at the top of the list?" Of course we'd want to be among the top listed bands or at the top of it if not enough for a dream. But we'd like to follow the concept of a musician with diverse style, technique and mode, and that we've teamed up with these diversities in incorporating our thoughts, ideas and beliefs into one structure called "band". It's important to us that we walk down the same path bearing with us this structure in our minds. This way we walk together as a band till the end of the road. We believe in ourselves to be moving parallel to these glories as a band and not legging behind with criticism or complete failure.
It'd be wrong to consider ourselves Hot-Shots, or the fame, we'd love to leave these decisions to our good fans. Every band (in the country) has their own talents, taste of music and genres to prove, experimenting with new stuffs and we are among them.
Question No. 2: Tell us about your EP, Aggression Aspired?
Answer: Our EP is entitled as "AGGRESSION ASPIRED". It contains 5 (five) original tracks.
1) The Untouchable,
2) Political Orgasm,
3) Speechless Mosaic From The Womb,
4) Mysterious Emotion,
5) 18th Century: The Rise
As the name suggests this album in it everything is of aggressiveness in perspective, the wanton aggression. Every single event and issues happening in and around us seems kinda part of our lives, but well it's not, only because of its frequency alone. People need to realize this and come up with an opinion to change for good. A man cannot be the change single-highhandedly, but can be the voice with his or her courage, inspiration or simply, MAN.
Viagra Haze - EP Cover
If people as a whole raise their fists up with grinding teeth there won't be any necessary evil. This album talks about it and apparently it's the "MAN". It portrays optimism, irony, in contrary to the literal meaning. Every song here talks about these issues, both personal and general:
1) Untouchable: The song is about a person living with HIV virus or the AIDS. Its perspective is that instead of the sympathy that he is dying the most painful death people look at him in disgust and fear which turns into character assassination. So, this song talks about how he feels being in solitude while he needs love and care the most, the anger and the repentance equalized.
2) Political Orgasm - This is about the present system in our society of how it is still ignorant inspite of the years of knowledge or the education on history. It's more like an arrogant, stubborn kid ignorantly enjoying with carefree and taking pleasure on things they want just for granted. This pleasure is compared to an intense woman's orgasm.
3) Speechless Mosaic From The Womb - It is an instrumental piece on our Manipuri Folk Music. It's basically a tribute to our motherland and of reminding her sons and daughters who they are and where they belong.
4) Mysterious Emotion - Looking at the face value of our society a kind of obvious feeling sets in. We feel angry yet at the same time feel glorious for this life and the beauties we are blessed with. But do we really deserve these sense of mixed feelings and emotions? It should be either one of the two, so that we may adapt and deal with the emotions. It's really confusing for the various emotions coming to us simultaneously, this makes us insecure both mentally then physically. Emotion's kind of mystery in itself.
5) 18th Century The Rise - The song sets in on the ideologies of ILLUMINATI. The satanic believes that says everything should be destroyed and everyone should be sent to their graves for they are unworthy of the gift of life. We pray for our misfortunes, difficulties and sorrow but less do we know that we are responsible for our own misfortunes. This is going to take forever for us to realise these, so why not we most be killed and give ourselves a fresh start.
Question No. 3: Tell us about the band as an artist? (Not as a band, musician or say Rockstar).
Answer: We'd like to portray the band as an artist who believes in one's ability to follow ourselves with clean and honest efforts and to not exaggerate the artistic qualities or sell them. We are in favour that holistic qualities are most precious to priceless. The band is a congregation of diverse techniques or ideas. We have incorporated each of our modes to something we all favour. Let our feelings speak through our music and we would love to do the same to others.
Question No. 4: What trend would you like to show in your genre of music?
Answer: We are a metal genred band. It's not only us, there are a lot of metal bands too. We all know what kinda music we love and the number of genres we love in that category of music, but when we come out as a band we tend to follow only one genre regardless of the love of the other genres. It's the same with Viagra Haze. Like mentioned before we have diverse technicalities and modes, but we use and incorporate them into one thing we'd all favour. This way, each individual musician in the band can use his ideas and not waste it at all but bring out and create something new. This is what we'd like the present trend to be after us.
Question No. 5: How would you like VH to be for your fans?
Answer: Well, we'd like to keep things simple. We have always wanted to respond as much as we can to the calls of our fans. It's because of them we exist. Everything we do should be to keep our fans alive every moment. If we are the kings, they are our kingdoms. It's democracy, we stand for a cause and they choose us.
Question No. 6: How did the band got inspired?
Answer: We think it's kind of obvious, music is what we got ourselves inspired. Every member in the band had their own inspirations that led them to take up musical instruments. We started out with 70s music and so on, form Jimi Hendrix - Led Zeppelin - Black Sabbath to Lamb of God, Meshuggah, Metallica etc. Each members had their own needs to take to music and do something with their talents. So, we teamed up in our rightful places to burned up our urges.
Then, there was this scene in the past that every rockers were some kind of a junkie. We were aware of that and wanted to change these images. This, nonetheless, inspired us a lot.
Question No. 7: Any awards or competitions bagged by the band?
Answer: We haven't recieved any yet and haven't been into any competition. But we are preparing really hard for any opportunities. The only award we've got is the band's EP and fans we got since it's release. We believe this is more than any awards or tittles.
Question No. 8: How do you reflect your music to the fans?
Answer: As mentioned before, as long as we don't let the fans down our fans will always be there for our music. We take into our songs the current political situations, sufferings, frustrations, bad governances, etc. into our music and share with the fans through the music we come up, characterised by our emotions at certain levels. If we have touched or inspired anyone in an emotional level, that is "fan" to us.
Question No. 9: What is rock band to you?
Answer: Literally, to us, Rock Bands are by unorthodox nature of emotions: high distorted guitars, unusual vocal performances, including falsetto, light guttural voices, prominent bass and thrashing drums. It's more of a heavy musical expressions of emotions. But in a more abstract way, rock band would mean connection between various emotions.
Question No.10: What have you planned to do with this EP?
Answer: We want to reach out to as many people as we can around the globe with this EP. Let them know who we are. Whatever the critics might reveal we atleast get a chance to be recognized. This is important to us for we've just revealed ourselves and this shell be our first priority with Aggression Aspired.
Question No. 11: Who would love to listen "Aggression Aspired" most? Keeping in mind every age groups, people, professionals, etc. has a different taste for music.
Answer: Well, metal-heads of course would understand and definitely love to listen to this album. The aggressions in the music and the lyrics will be best understood by metalheads. Besides, a person who has a sense of the present evil scenario and relating himself with the lyrics would understand this album and it's music.
Question No. 12: How do you relate Viagra Haze to the lyrics or theme you assembled in Aggression Aspired?
Answer: Viagra literally means sex pills and Haze as sprinkle or to spray. Well, sex is the scientific term, but this sex is meant as "love making" in its beautiful sense of the meaning. This makes Viagra as "love making pills" and altogether Viagra Haze means "sprinkle love all around". But it's lyrics or theme and the music is quite ironic. The idea within relating it to the band is showering or spraying love in its true and honest kind but ironically. It's like the parents beating their kids not because they hate or dislike them but for the love they have to make them grow wisely and take better care of themselves.
Viagra Haze is optimism in a different way. Apart from the love for humanity, sympathy for the sufferings and misfortunes its seeing the evil aspects and perspectives of the realm. We assembled these aggresiveness, the aspects and perspectives into our lyrics so that anyone who reads it may also feel it. And so aggression is aspired.
Question No. 13: Football or Cricket?
Viagra Haze - Band Logo
Questions & Revised by
* Lukhendro Keisham / Club Muzik wrote this article for e-pao.net
The writer can be contacted at clubmuzikevents(at)gmail(dot)com
This article was posted on April 17, 2014.
* Comments posted by users in this discussion thread and other parts of this site are opinions of the individuals posting them (whose user ID is displayed alongside) and not the views of e-pao.net. We strongly recommend that users exercise responsibility, sensitivity and caution over language while writing your opinions which will be seen and read by other users. Please read a complete Guideline on using comments on this website.