'Progress in talks made'
Source: The Sangai Express / The Hindu
New Delhi, February 05 2017:
In a breakthrough in the ongoing economic blockade of Manipur, following the indefinite strike called by the United Naga Council, which has continued for four months now, the State Government is likely to partially agree to the demands of the Naga body.
The Union Home Ministry, which held tripartite talks with the UNC and the Manipur Government on Friday to find a solution to the ongoing blockade of two National Highways, said "substantial progress" had been made.
More time sought .
"Substantial progress has been made on the issues of economic blockade and creation of new districts.
Some issues need more discussion at organisation level.
Both the Manipur Government and the UNC have asked for time.
We will meet again on February 7," Satyendra Garg, Joint Secretary, North-East, MHA, said.
The UNC was represented by its president Gaidon Kamei and his publicity secretary Shankhen Stephen, along with seven others.
Both Kamei and Stephen were arrested last year and were in a Manipur jail.
Four-month blockade .
The economic blockade imposed by the UNC, a conglomerate of Naga bodies, against the Manipur Government's decision to carve out seven new districts, has continued for over four months now.